It’s the week of 2/8/16 and the snow is finally here! Keep a lookout for some rad winter trips on the trips board!
Lojgiving is coming up!!!
Microspikes postholed back to Tufts
TRIVIA night – Feb. 18
Living up to our name in some mountains yo
Learn how to tele ski! Yeah, talking to you.
Leave your eternal mark in the annals of TMC
- Look out for Lojgiving sign ups coming out on Wednesday!! Lojgiving will be Feb 26-28. Come eat Thanksgiving food, whaaaaa? Thanksgiving in February? That’s so crazy it might just work. Come give thanks for the Loj and partake in some tasty trips!!! It’s the most wonderful time of the year, so look out for sigups this week.
- Until further notice, microspikes will be kept in the gear room. Please make sure you check out a pair during gear hours (Tues and Thurs from 1:30 to 2:30) from the gear room at 17 Chetwynd before heading up to the Loj for hikes. Trip leaders, make sure people who sign up for your hikes are prepared and grab microspikes ahead of time! Talk to the gear director with questions!
- Trivia Night reminder. Hotung Cafe from 8-9 on Feb 18 will be tons of fun with cools prizes, including free loj-stays!!! and a costume contest. Surprise MC who will be unforgettable. Seriously, this night will make you laugh, cry, find yourself, lose 5 pounds. Don’t miss out on TMC trivia!!
- Wow! Fun Trips! In the mountains? Yep. Check out some photos from Ari and Zephyrâ€™s rad winter backpacking trip this past weekend on Mount Chocorua! Send us all your adventure photos. Remember, TMC offers trips for all skill levels. You want fun? We got fun. You want pain? Ari and Zephyr require pain to sustain their eternal youth.
- A bunch of lovely TMC souls went to Bretton Woods to do some Tele Skiing! Thanks to an incredibly generous donation from TMC alum Matt Walter we were able to get 9 brave TMCers out on tele skis and the 6 first-timers were shredding by midday. More tele-clinics to come! Look out for clinics on the trips board!!
- Deanna is putting together a TMC hiking guide! If you have photos of yourself on hikes in the Northeast that you want immortalized forever in the book, please send them to her along with the names of everyone in the photo, what you were hiking, what time of year it was, and anything else you have to say about the adventure.
IT’s February 1st and it’s almost 60 degrees! We goin’ outside no matter waht, so get ready… Hit up thatÂ trips boardÂ u know and love
Need some caretakers yo
IT’S TRIVIAAA THYME
Sign up for emails you’ll actually read
Check these sweet sweet jobs
Email ur caretakers this weekend
We got trips fo days + send in pics of them
Learn to telemark ski fo cheap???
Ross gonna lay some tasty knowledge on you
We still need caretakers! Please sign up to caretake as it is a great way to give back to TMC and if we donâ€™t have caretakers, we canâ€™t open the Loj So sign up for these dates:Â
URGENT Feb 12-15 !!!!!!
Contact Loj Mom Alyssa Rivas
First Monthly Gathering coming upÂ February 18th TRIVIA NIGHT in Hotung Cafe
- Win a free stay at the Loj
- Come in Costume for a Contest
A reminder that current student members can get notifications about trips and programs they are interested in! Everyone checked these notification boxes when they signed up for TMC, but we donâ€™t want anyone to miss out if their interests have grown. Take a moment to update your interests here: https://tuftsmountainclub.org/login/my-profile/
Outdoor jobs fair at UNH: https://www.facebook.com/events/1539562753021671/
This weekendâ€™s caretakers are:
MP Monks and McKinzey Torrance
Let them know you are coming up!
If you want to learn how to Telemark ski this weekend and you have your own ride up to the Loj, make sure to contact Brian. He wants to bring a few more people out for his learn-to-Tele clinic and the car going up for the trip filled fast! More details here.
Want to learn more about backcountry skiing and what it takes to be safe while traveling up in the backcountry? Make sure to go to Rossâ€™ Backcountry Skiing: The Basics skill session in theCrane room at 8PM on Tuesday!
Sign up for these things ASAP:
TMC VANS ARE MOVING TO DOWLING. Keys are staying in the campus center. You must still return the keys promptly after van use.
Submit reimbursement formsÂ and pick up gear you orderedÂ before the end of the semester! (except Mountain Hardwear gearâ€¦Â ZephyrÂ will be in touch)Â WilsonÂ hosts gear hours in 17 Chetwynd onÂ Tuesdays 11-12 and Thursdays 11:30-12:30.
A big thank you to everyone who ran! Con”grad”ulations to theÂ TMC Executive Board for 2016:
President: Ari Schneider …… VP: Maya DeBellis ……Â Historian: Kiley Pratt
Loj Director: Alyssa Rivas ……Â Events Director: Maxx Grossman
Communications Director: Teddy Laurita ……Â Treasurer: Jessie Hoffman
Stewardship Director: Jared LiebermanÂ ……Â Skiing Director: Sam Suechting
Hiking Director: Deanna Bessy ……Â Climbing Director: Brian Taintor
Aqua Director: Emma Arnesty-GoodÂ ……Â Gear Director: Emily Decker
Van Man: Russell Gens ……Â Webmasters: Owen Martin and Josh Berl
â€śEnergy. Thatâ€™s how to describe VICE Fest. I could feel it the moment I stepped into the Lojâ€¦.that energy took the shape of sharing and learning and listening, and total psyche for not just climbing, but for the world that climbing gives us when we expand our horizons with it.â€ťâ€“Majka Burhardt, Pro Climber, Author, Filmmaker, and VICE Fest Speaker 2014
VICE Fest is an ice climbing festival for beginners and experienced climbers alike. If you want to learn about ice climbing, this is the event for you!Â Ride coordination, climbing gear, food, lodging, professional instruction, a day of ice climbing, a professional presentation, rad tshirt, dance party, and huge gear raffle are all included.Â Since the event is professionally guided this year, youâ€™ll get to hangout with local legends like Freddie Wilkinson, Bayard Russell, Anne Skidmore, Kevin Mahoney, Matt McCormick, Alexa Siegel, Matt Shove, Matt Ritter, and more!
VICE Fest is an all-inclusive adventure! Â Included in your registration fee: technical equipment, professional guiding, guest presentation, raffles / free giveaways,Â SaturdayÂ breakfast/lunch/dinner, rad VICE Fest T-Shirt, carpooling, lodging.
The Loj has been CROWDED AF over past breaks, so we have signups for spots in bunks this year. Caretaker signups are on the form as well, so feel free to sign up for any of the days to caretake if you’re certified.
- You are only guaranteed a place to sleep at the Loj if you are one of the first 46 to sign up for each day.
- We donâ€™t like limiting Loj accessÂ either, but everybody loves loj too much. Violating fire codesÂ is unsafe (and uncomfortable).
Contact the Loj Director with further questions.
It’s that time of year again! Winter is coming- it is here! When going up to the Loj, whether you are planning on reading a book or going out to hike or climb, be prepared for WINTERY CONDITIONS! This means extra layers, microspikes (there are some provided at the Loj) and boots are extremely important! Talk to the hiking director at email@example.com for more information. Enjoy the snow!
This weekend is Peak Weekend! Please do not go up to the Loj without talking to our lovely coordinators, Brian and Anna! Email them with any questions or concerns.
The world isnâ€™t frozen yet! Go hike and paddle and climb while you can!! Check the trips board for trips going out, or post your own and go outside!!!!
AUTUMNFEST IS FRIDAY OCTOBER 23rd! Look out for more details coming soon. If you’d be interested in coordinating the event, please email firstname.lastname@example.org!!!!!!!!!
The stove works now, and we have a fume hood!!! In theory!!! At long last, we can cook inside again!
These are most of the happenings this week!
Did you know that the Peregrine Falcon can reach 200 mph during its dive? Now you do!
*** Sign up by MIDNIGHT on FRIDAY the SECOND of OCTOBER (that’s today)***
Solo sign up hereÂ <– Use if you would like to be assigned a groupÂ and ride and make NEW friends
Group sign up hereÂ <– Use if you already have a group and car
Come to the Peak Weekend GIM this Thursday at 9pm in Barnum 008Â if you want to come to Peak weekend!
Come on out to Barnum 104 this Thursday, Oct. 1, at 9 PM to hear about how you can join TMC in conquering all 48 4000 ft. peaks in the White Mountains of New Hampshire! Every year, TMC hosts Peak Weekend to get tons of students into the mountains – our goal is to get at least one Tufts student on the summit the 48 tallest peaks in New Hampshire!
On Thursday we’ll be going over the signup process and some logistics for the weekend. There’s a lot of information we’d love to share with y’all so don’t miss it!
Peak Weekend 2015 will be Saturday, Oct. 10 – Sunday Oct. 11. This is a great opportunity for anyone in the Tufts community, beyond just TMC members, to get out on some beautiful hikes with other wonderfully rad folks before snow consumes New England. Absolutely everybody is welcome and we’d love to see you all there!
Contact coordinators Anna Bartlett and Brian Taintor at email@example.com if you have any questions!
This could be you in a couple of weeks……..