Tufts Mountain Club Loj
1 Potato Hill Rd
Woodstock, NH 03262
Loj Phone: (603) 745-2123
To find out how to actually go about using the Loj, please see theÂ How the Loj WorksÂ page.
Owned by Tufts University and run by the Tufts Mountain Club (TMC), the Loj serves as a retreat destination for all members of the Tufts community. Many students use the Loj as a base camp for a wealth
of outdoor activities including hiking, skiing, swimming, rock climbing, and apple picking, but the Loj is also a space to relax and get to know new people.
There are 48 bunks in the Loj and adjoining Trips Cabin. There is a full-size kitchen and refrigerator, which any visitors are allowed to use at their convenience. Other features include an outdoor fire circle, two full multi-stall bathrooms, a large common room with a wood stove, three bunk rooms (and a swanky trips cabin), and a library with oodles of books and board games. There is also plenty of outdoor gear accessible free of charge to any guest of the Loj including canoes, XC skis and boots, and snowshoes!
The Loj is located in Woodstock, New Hampshire, about two hours north on I-93 from Tufts Universityâ€™s Medford Campus; it is close to Franconia Notch State Park and the Pemigewasset River. The TMC is fortunate to have such a beautiful place to stay in the heart of New Hampshireâ€™s White Mountain Region.
Lincoln, New Hampshire is only a quick drive down the road from the Loj. One can find a movie theater, supermarket, plenty of places to eat and go shopping in Lincoln. Mirror Lake â€” a beautiful small lake with a public beach — is only a few minutes away in the other direction.
For students who are not familiar with the this area of New Hampshire, a binder at the Loj has information about trips and activities that are easily accessible from the Loj. The binder has everything one needs to know about these trips, such as trail lengths, peak elevations, maps, directions, any fees associated with use, and levels of difficulty. Caretakers and other seasoned TMC members are also great resources if visitors have questions about the activities that abound in the area.
The Loj has a large supply of food. The majority of the food is non-perishable items such as canned soup, pasta, cereal, and pancake mix, but the caretakers buy some fresh items before they arrive on Friday. This food is available to everyone who pays for â€śLoj Foodâ€ť during their stay, and should be sufficient for every meal, including bagged lunches for the trail.
The Loj has been operated by the TMC for over 75 years, and its primary function remains to be a space for TMC retreat and activities. All TMC members are encouraged to use the Loj as individuals and participate in TMC activities, and there is additional limited space for other groups, too. Non-TMC member Tufts undergraduates, graduate students, alumni, staff, and faculty, as well as students from other schools, may attend the Loj as the guests of a TMC member (up to four guests per member). Remember that TMC membership is open throughout the year to anyone who is a member of the Tufts community! We love to have more people joining and getting outside.
1. Do not burn down the Loj.
- Fires and stoves may not be left unattended
- Visitors may not smoke within 20 feet of any Loj building.
- Visitors must note where fire extinguishers and alarm pulls are when they arrive.
2. The caretakers are in charge of the Loj.
- Scheduled caretakers must be present for the Loj to be in use.
- Visitors must let the caretakers know ahead of time if they plan to come to the Loj.
- Visitors must pay caretakers upon arrival to the Loj.
- Caretakers have final say in assigning bunks and cleaning tasks.
- Caretakers enforce the rules and have final say in any matter that may arise; visitorsâ€™ abilities to stay at the Loj are contingent upon obeying the caretakers.
3. Hard alcohol is not allowed on Loj property.
- The Loj is not a place to get drunk and party.
- Alcohol consumption by those under 21 is illegal.
4. Visitors must fill out trips forms before leaving on trips
- Caretakers can help visitors who are unfamiliar with trips forms.
- Visitors must submit the form to caretakers before leaving on trips.
5. Visitors must take off their shoes inside the Loj and Trips Cabin
- Shoes must be stored on the shoe racks.
6. Loj quiet hours are from 12am â€“ 8 am; Trips Cabin quiet hours are from 10 pm â€“ 8 am
- Loj walls are thin, so all parties must respect each otherâ€™s needs.
7. Visitors all contribute to cleaning the Loj.
- Visitors should leave the Loj cleaner than they found it.
- Visitors are responsible for doing their own dishes.
8. Cars must be parked in the Loj parking lot â€” not along the road.
9. Four non-TMC member guests to the Loj are allowed per TMC member.
10. Visitors are responsible for any damages they inflict on Loj/TMC property.